Teenage Waistland by Lynn Biederman, Lisa Pazer
I do not like coming of age and finding yourself books and that is what this was. We follow Marcie, East, Char, and Bobby as they go through a clinical trial for the lap-band for teenagers. We see that they all realize their actions impact others in both good and bad ways and we watch them deal with the consequences of those actions. I didn't really like any of the main characters. Marcie was mean but her heart to heart with her step-sister was beautiful; it helped her heal and their relationship at the end was wonderful. East was the most sympathetic character and at the end we find out that her procedure didn't work but she still lost the most weight because she healed her relationship with her family, particularly her mother, and they were able to support each other. I couldn't stand Char and even when we found out about her real backstory I had empathy for her, but I'm not completely convinced that my opinion of her changed. Bobby was the easiest to understand. His feelings of being forced into a life he didn't want to uphold the family legacy were eminently relatable. I am glad he was finally able to talk to his Dad and find joy in his own life. The idea that you have to find and treat the root cause and not just the symptoms is something that everyone, including myself, needs to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment